Pages

Friday, September 10, 2010

Read-A-Holic

I am literally obsessed with reading and the library. I get a HIGH from going to the library... I love the smells, people and when I get that magical email in my inbox that says "the book you requested is ready for pick-up". (and the fact that our library has every DVD you could ever want- for free and you get the movie for 7 days).

I started this year, with writing down every book I read to see how many I could hit this year. I stopped at the end of January and don't know where the list went... I would have to say I am somewhere in the 40-50 book range now, but I could be slightly off. My reading habits are typically this: I find one book I like and read every other book by that author and then move onto the next author I find. This is great and all, but I have tried to start mixing it up a bit.... I wanted to share some of my favorites with you, if you will return the favor, that is :)

1) The Hunger Games: Suzanne Collins. I have already blogged about this trilogy, but these are a MUST read and I hear the new President of KSU has these on his "must read" list as well!
#1 The Hunger Games #2 Catching Fire #3 Mockingjay. I can't sing enough praise about these. Quick Summary: These are set in the far future, after North America is destroyed. There is a new country formed called Panem. Panem consists of the Capitol and 12 Districts. Every year, the Districts are required to send one girl and one boy to the Capital to fight to the death on national television, like a reality show.
Amazing!

2) Author Sarah Strohmeyer. I picked her books up on a whim because I was out of things to read and her books have very cute covers. She is a chick-lit author to the max, but very entertaining. Some of her books are extremely funny too. I would compare her to Emily Giffin (if you haven't read her books either, get on it!). I think my favorite of hers that I have read so far is "The Cinderella Pact" but I have read several and all are good reads and very light-hearted.

3) The White Queen: Phillipa Gregory. If you liked "The Other Boleyn Girl" you will like this book. This takes place several decades before the Tudors. The "Plantagenet" era is just as messed up as, if not more than the Tudors. I had a hard time turning this book back in, because I was so emotionally attached to it. I know, I am really weird... But she is coming out with "The Red Queen" next and I can't wait!

4) Author Jennifer Weiner. She is another chick-lit author, but with many more deeper topics. I have actually cried in some of her books... A good one to start with from her is "Good in Bed" and then move onto "Certain Girls". She has a handful of very good books out and I have read all but one of them (the last is sitting on my nightstand right now).

5) Last but not least... "Mark of the Lion" series by Francine Rivers. This is another trilogy #1 A Voice in the Wind #2 An Echo in Darkness #3 As Sure as Dawn. Let me tell you, the first book takes A LONG TIME to get into. In fact, I almost put it down like 80 times. But I kept going and the second half of #1 and book #2 will go down in my history as some of the best books I have ever read. Francine Rivers is a Christian author, FYI. This is set in the Roman Empire times and are about a slave girl for a very wealthy family. So, so, so good.

I am currently reading "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" and I know I am a little behind the times on this one, but I am expecting greatness...

Anyways, I am always ALWAYS looking for recommendations- so that was really the point of this post. Send them to me!!! Happy reading!

5 comments:

  1. I recommend Jen Lancaster! Esp. in this sort of economy, she's rather hilarious. I believe she has 4 books out now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't usually read chick lit but I agree with Emily, Jen Lancaster's Bitter is the New Black was highly entertaining! Another great book I got from the library was The Red Tent by anita diamant, you've probably already read it but I really loved it! P.S. Just ordered Hunger Games can't wait.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am reading The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo also. We will have to chat about when I get done :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just got the email from the library, second book in Hunger Games series is ready for pick up!

    ReplyDelete