Pages

Thursday, April 22, 2010

A Historical Day

Sorry all my bloggies... I have not updated in ALMOST a week (which is better than some of you are doing right now-cough, cough).

As usual, I am in Massachusetts right now and yesterday I arrived waaayyy ahead of schedule to an appointment of mine. I was considering what to do to burn time when I remembered that was close to the ocean... so, I quickly looked up 'attractions' on my trustee GPS and guess what, Plymouth Rock was only a 15 minute jont away. So, I played tourist for about 45 minutes. I got to see the Mayflower II, the town of Plymouth and, of course, the rock. The rock was a complete let down (so small!!!!) until I read the history on it which goes something like this.

It used to be three times the size (water rushing over it for 400 years wore it down) and they tried to move it, got split into 2 pieces (a top and bottom half) which is why I only saw the 1/3 top half of it. With the engraved "1620" on it.

And actually, history said nothing of this so called 'rock'. Until much later in time when someone heard from someone that was on the Mayflower that is rock is what they stood upon as a group claiming that is land would be their home. But actually the two men who documented this happening never mentioned the rock at all. So interesting to me!!! Anyways, people don't really know the whole story behind it. Other theories are that it was used to tied the boat to or something simple like that.

Here are a few pics from yesterday. Taken with my phone, so not the best quality. I want to go back and actually explore the town because it is C-U-T-E and there are little wineries and such along the beach right across from everything.

(I might mention that after my visit to Plymouth, my meeting was in the oldest standing police building, built in 1819 and the home-town of Tom Thumb). GREAT DAY because I LOVE history :)




This is the little beach area that Plymouth Rock is on and which is believe to be the small area where the boat landed.


0 comments:

Post a Comment