Pages

Friday, December 18, 2009

The French cake log

I baked "Buche De Noel" (Cake that looks like a log- in French) two nights ago. We went the Whole Foods to grab lunch and they had samples of this stuff out. I had never tasted it before, and thought it was the best thing I had ever put in my mouth. I took 4 trips to the sample station (luckily no one was around). ANYWAYS, when I grabbed the package to buy and looked at the price, I almost had a heart attack at how expensive it was. So, I bought all the ingrediants and baked one myself. It was very challenging, but turned out pretty good. I know what "tweaks" I would do next time around. But let's just say this recipe included, beating yoaks to pale and thick, beating the egg whites to stiff peaks. I had BOTH of my mixers out and the kitchen was a disaster by the time I was done. Here are a few pics from my endeaver.
This was one of those recipes where you bake the cake part, flip it out of the pan onto a towel, roll the towel up and let cool. It was pretty exciting, not going to lie. Here is my little log, cooling away on the counter
Finished product: I used a little too much whip cream (I did a vanilla one instead of chocolate because I forgot to buy the cocoa powder) but will adjust next time. Overall, a success!

1 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh Em, this totally beats my stupid red velvet cupcakes!! You are my idol!

    ReplyDelete