Pages

Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Traveling Alone

I am sure that everyone has traveled alone at some time or another. With my job, I would say I travel about two-three times a month and here are a few things that I have learned while on the road:

1) Always wear layers on a plane. They are either FREEZING or HOT.
2) Don't feel like a loser when you eat alone in a restaurant. I do this all the time. I usually find a spot at the bar and feel awkward until I look around and notice I am not the only one eating alone.
3) Priceline is the shiznet when it comes to booking hotels- I will teach you the trick of the trade if you need me to
4) Never rent a Toyota Pruis. They are the most confusing Hybrid Cars to drive and will make you feel like an idiot when you first get in them. Seriously.... if they ask "is a Toyota Prius ok with you" Respectfully ask for something else.
5) In my experience (and I have not tried all of the rental car companies out) Hertz is the best. They are the only ones that don't try to up sell you the whole time you are at the counter. Avis is the worst.... several stories about them.
6) I just learned yesterday that Frontier Airlines does not do standby. So when I got to the airport 6 hours prior to my flight, they made me pay $100 to get on an earlier flight. Thank God I have a cool boss so I can expense this. Well worth it. But note-to-self about Frontier
7) Always travel with some cash. It sucks to be stuck without tip money.
8) NEVER, EVER drink the tap water in Florida. It is yellow and smells like swamp water.
9) I can show you how to change clothes in an airport bathroom without touching hardly anything. From business suit to jeans or vice-versa
10) Georgians are the nicest people ever. I was in Atlanta this week and was pleasantly pleased with everyone I came in contact with. Must be that Southern hospitality
11) Airports are the best people watching experiences ever. People get so flustered when going through security, it just cracks me up.
12) Last but not least. If you are paying for a cab with a credit card, make sure to let them know this before you get in the car. I was in Boston and seriously pissed a cab driver off when we got to my hotel and I told him I was paying with a card. Lesson learned, always inform them of this before because I guess it is a pain the butt for some of them...

1 comments:

  1. Good to know Em! I will be traveling a lot to go see Kyle and these are all helpful hints! I also make all my Boss's travel arrangements so maybe I will impress her with some of these tips!

    ReplyDelete